MODERN MIX SA
MODERN MIX SA QUILTERS
The Modern Mix SA Quilters is a gathering of quilters who are interested in finding out more about modern quilting. The group has been formed to provide opportunities for exploring and learning new techniques. Members share ideas, information and their love of textiles. The sessions are a combination of members working on their own projects and trying out new techniques. Each month a challenge is offered up for those keen to be invovled in that aspect of the Group.
Modern Mix has a dedicated Facebook page for participants who want to share their monthly challenges, tips, ideas and everything ‘Modern‘. Go to Facebook Modern Mix and join the Group.
This is our program plan for the beginning of 2023 and we are looking forward to members sharing more creativity and inspiring each other just like 2022! We have planned for a mix of ‘freestyling” sessions where members meet to work on their own projects and “structured” sessions where there will be a demonstration, talk or workshop activity.
This year in addition to the scheduled topic or activity each month we will have a number of ongoing activities running along in the background for keen crew members to get involved in.
- Pip’s patterns to ponder – bi-monthly (that is every two months) Pip will be sharing a quilt block pattern with us as an added take away bonus at Modern Mix, make one or make the whole set – it’s up to you but knowing Pip, these will be yet another great addition to your Modern quilting adventure.
- National Quilt Museum Block of the month program. Lesley Millar has been doing this program for years and will be updating us on this activity, how to follow along and be your contact for any questions. Members can keep up to date on block progress on our Facebook page or in Show ‘n’ Tell each month.
- 30 days of Improv – starts July 2023 – International Quilt-along. All keen crew members will be encouraged to get involved and encourage each other on this growing international challenge.
Each month we will have the usual “Show ‘n’ Tell” and this year we encourage all crew who would like to de-stash to bring along their gear to sell.
The Modern Mix Committee:
Cindy Massey, Ann Retallick, Lesley Miller, Jill Radcliffe, Michael Barton and Sue Knuckey.
- When: See dates on calendar
- Time: 10:00am to 3:00pm
- Where: Cumberland Park Community Centre, 390 Goodwood Road, Cumberland Park
- Cost: $10 per meeting for SA Quilters members and $20 per meeting for affiliate members and $30 non Members
- BYO lunch. Tea, coffee and will be provided
- For more information please email email@example.com or phone Jill on 0418 856 519
|CHALLENGE OR ACTIVITY
|Group Entry for Festival of Quilts
|Launch – this project will be completed at home but discussed today. You will need your own red fabric (red on red, shades of red – please prewash your fabric). Please bring you fabric with you if you want to use your sewing time today to get started. We will be supplying the white fabric for you.
Show and tell – bring something that you are interested in other than quilting, do you have another hobby or interest to share with the group?
Work on your own projects.
|Work on your own projects. No feature activity this month – your own sewing time with like-minded friends.
Sunday 14 Apr
|Gee’s Bend Inspiration
|Re-purposing fabric – visit your local Op-shop and purchase 3 pieces of cotton clothing that you are willing to give away/share. We will be using each other’s donations to stitch up something creative on the day. Please bring along any books or source material you might have about Gee’s Bend quilts. Michael will bring a collection of books from the SA Quilters Library.
|No feature activity this month – your own sewing time with like-minded friends.
Photographic collages on this page are quilts made by members of Modern Mix SA and featured in the 2022 Coromandel Valley Exhibition We are Makers.